|673||Meeting of the first Synod of the English Church.|
|896||Defeat of the Danes by Alfred The Great.|
|912||A burgh (fortified places) was founded by Edward The Elder to the north of the River Lea crossing at “Heorutforda” (Ford of the Harts) to defend aganst Danish advances. The site is thought to be in the area of Old Cross.|
|913||A second burgh is established by Edward to the south of the river, making Hertford a double fort. The site later became Hertford Castle.|
|1066||The Norman Conquest.|
|1087||The Domesday Book records 146 burgesses (head of family), two churches, two markets and three mills at Hertford.
Hertford Priory established by William The Conquerer’s nephew, Ralph de Limesi
|1170-74||Hertford Castle reconstructed by Henry II.|
|1216||Siege and capture of Hertford Castle by the French Dauphin.|
|1223||The Sheriff of Hertfordshire is ordered to construct a gaol in the borough.|
|1249||William De Valance becomes govenor of Hertford Castle.|
|1296||Hertford Castle reverts to The Crown (Edward I) after the death of William De Valances.|
|1298||The Freemen of Hertford elect the town’s first MPs – John De Westreete and Simon De Balle.|
|1299||Hertford Castle entrusted to Margaret of France, wife of Edward I.|
|1304||Hertford Castle becomes a Royal Palace.|
|1332||Castle and Borough surveyed by Edward III.|
|1358||Queen Isabella, wife of Edward II, dies at Hertford Castle.|
|1360||Hertford Castle granted to John of Gaunt, third son of Edward III.|
|1402||Joan of Navarre, wife of Henry IV, becomes governor of Hertford Castle.|
|1418||Princess Catherine of France, wife of Henry V, becomes governor of Hertford Castle.|
|1450||Around this time The Verger’s House was built in St.Andrew Street. It is now better known as St.Nicholas Hall.|
|1514||The church of St.Mary The Less in Old Cross is pulled down.|
|1536||Dissolution of Hertford Priory.|
|1563||Parliament moves to Hertford Castle to escape The Plague.|
|1602||Samuel Stone, founder of Hartford, Connecticut, born in Fore Street.|
|1617||Richard Hale School founded in All Saints churchyard.|
|1621||Detailed survey of the town by John Norden for King James 1st.|
|1625||Outbreak of Plague in the town.|
|1628||William Cecil, second Earl of Salisbury, is granted freehold of Hertford Castle by The Crown.|
|1629||St.John’s Church bulit on the ruins of St.Mary’s in the old Priory grounds.|
|1637||The Priory Manor is sold to Sir John Harrison of Ball’s Park.|
|1653||Mayor of Hertford, Andrew Palmer, imprisoned by Roundheads for reading royal proclamation.|
|1666||Christ’s Hospital School moves to Hertford after the Great Fire of London.|
|1669||Quaker Meeting House built in Back Street (now Railway Street).|
|1670||Friends Meeting House built in Railway Street.|
|1675||The church of St.Nicholas is demolished.|
|1708||Water first pumped into town.|
|1721||Ware Park Mill built.|
|1754||Young’s Brewery opens close to the corner of South Street and Fore Street.|
|1767||The River Lee Navigation reaches Hertford, providing an important transport connection to London.|
|1769||The Old Sessions Hall is demolished to make way for Shire Hall.|
|1771||Shire Hall completed|
|1772||The Hertfordshire Mercury first published.|
|1793||The School of Industry for Girls opens.|
|1824||Clock designed by John Briant installed at Shire Hall.|
|1825||The first gas works is constructed in Gas House Lane (now Marshgate Drive) by the International Gas Co.|
|1826||Thomas Duncombe becomes MP for Hertford.|
|1830||McMullens second brewery opens on what is now the site of The Woolpack P.H.|
|1833||Completion of Hertford County Hospital (formerly The Infirmary).|
|1835||The Reform Act of 1832 and the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835 lead to the reformation of Hertford Corporation.|
|1841||The Cowper Testimonial School opens in London Road.|
|1843||First railway station opens in Hertford, opposite what is now the Great Eastern Tavern in Railway Street.|
|1845||All Saints Infants School built.|
|1849||Outbreak of Cholera in the town kills 48.|
|1851||New livestock market opened behind the Ram Inn in Fore Street.|
|1854||The Hertford Sewerage Diversion Act leads to the establishment of a sewerage purification works on the Kings Meads.|
|1855||Holy Trinity Church built in Bengeo.|
|1858||Opening of Cowbridge Railway Station on the new branch line from Hertford to Welwyn.
Horns Mill rebuilt and re-equipped
|1859||New Corn Exchange opened.
The Ragged School in Butcherley Green opens.
|1861||Church of the Immaculate Conception and St.Joseph built in St.John’s Street.
Water reservoir established in Port Vale.
|1862||Construction of the United Reform church on Cowbridge.|
|1863||Housebuilding starts on Folly Island.
Catholic Church built in St.John’s Street.
|1868||Christ Church built on corner of Port Vale and Balfour Street.|
|1870||St.Andrews church in St.Andrews Street rebuilt.|
|1877||The Ragged School in Butcherly Green closes.
Work completed on Goldings, a tudor style house eventually to become a Dr.Bernardo’s home.
|1884||Shire Hall altered.|
|1888||Work starts on new Public Library in Old Cross.
Hertford East railway station constructed.
|1889||Covered Market built.|
|1890||Main Post Office built by H.Norris.
Fire destroys Sele Mill – burns for three days.
Market Street constructed.
|1891||All Saints Church gutted by fire on 21st December.
McMullens build a new brewery in Hartham Lane.
|1893||Major restoration of St.Nicholas Hall in St.Andrews Street.
Mill Bridge freed of toll.
|1895||A new church at All Saints is dedicated by the Bishop of St.Albans.|
|1897||Young’s Brewery close to the corner of South Street and Fore Street closes.|
|1898||Evelyn Cecil elected M.P.|
|1900||The first electric works are built by the North Metropolitan Electric Power and Distribution Co.Ltd.|
|1902||Shire Hall altered.
Boys from Christ’s Hospital School move to Horsham.
|1903||The Green Dragon hotel is built on the site of a 16th Century Inn on the corner of Maidenhead Street and The Wash.|
|1904||Christ’s Hospital redeveloped for girls. Eight large red brick dormitories and a new chapel built. These were opened on July 23 1906 by The Prince of Wales.|
|1905||Completion of The Victoria Tower at All Saints Church.|
|1906||The Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary, open new girls accomodation at Christ’s Hospital.
Baptist Church built on the corner of Cowbridge and Port Hill.
|1910||Opening of Hertford’s first cinema, the People’s Electric Theatre, on the corner of Maidenhead Street and Bull Plain. The site is now occupied by Hinds the jewellers.
Hertford’s second cinema – The Premier, opens on Christmas Eve in Market Street.
|1911||Hertford Castle leased to Hertford Borough Council.|
|1912||The Castle Gates are presented to the town by the Marquis of Salisbury.|
|1914||The Castle Cinema opens in The Wash.|
|1915||Zeppelin Raid on town on 13th October. Buildings damaged include those at the west end of Bull Plain and North Road.|
|1917||Fire destroys important part of Maidenhead Street on 6th May.
Bombs dropped on Queen’s Hill from German Zeppelin.
|1919||Addis takes over the buildings of the Hertford Steam Laundry in Ware Road for the manufacture of toothbrushes.|
|1921||First council houses constructed.
War Memorial built in Parliament Square.
|1922||Goldings became the William Baker Technical School, a Dr. Barnardo’s Home|
|1923||Hertford County Hospital extended and rebuilt.|
|1924||Cowbridge railway station closes.
Hertford North railway station opens.
|1927||Extensive demolision work takes place on Millbridge so that road can be widened and new bridge constructed.|
|1928||Record factory opened in Mead Lane.|
|1929||The Premier Cinema in Market Street becomes a theatre of varieties.|
|1930||Richard Hale School rebuilt on a new site in Peg’s Lane.|
|1932||The treatre of varieties in Market Street becomes The Regent Cinema.|
|1933||Opening of the County Cinema.
The Maidenhead Inn, which gave its’ name to Maidenhead Street, closes. The premises are now occupied by Woolworth’s.
|1935||New toothbrush factory in Ware Road constructed.|
|1938||Record Factory in Mead Lane closes.|
|1939||County Hall opens.|
|1940||German Land Mine damages houses in Ware Road and Tamworth Road.|
|1943||The Regent Cinema closes.|
|1944||Extensive damage after a V2 flying bomb lands at Mill Bridge on 2nd July.|
|1946||Balls Park becomes a teacher training college.
Modernised Castle Cinema reopens.
|1955||Major expansion at Addis’s toothbrush factory.|
|1957||The Cowper School in London Road closes.|
|1959||The Castle Cinema closes.|
|1964||Releif Road constructed.|
|1967||William Baker Technical School at The Goldings Closes.|
|1973||Horns Mill, home of Webb & Co in the 1950s, is demolished to make way for homes.|
|1979||The Castle Hall opens.
The Covered Market closes.
|1980||Road viaduct carrying the A10 across the Meads is opened.|
|1982||The County Cinema closes.|
|1985||After 300 years in the town, Christ’s Hospital Girls School leaves Hertford to join the boys school in Horsham, Surrey.|
|1987||Christ’s Hospital chapel demolished to make way for Tesco supermarket.|
|1993||Addis’s toothbrush factory closes.|
|1994||Fountain built in Salisbury Square.|
|1996||Major part of Hertford Castle grounds transfered to East Herts District Council as a gift from the owner, Lord Salisbury.|