Four of the town’s mills were recorded in The Domesday Book of 1087 – Horn’s Mill, Molewood Mill, Sele Mill and the Town Mill.
- Dicker Mill (sometimes known as Priory Mill) moved downstream from its’ position by The Hertford Priory when the River Lee Navigation was extended to Hertford. In latter years it was an oil mill, extracting oils from linseed. It closed in the 1920s.
- Horn’s Mill was at the foot of Bullock’s Lane. The mill ground corn, crushed oil seeds and ground bones for fertiliser. Production ceased in the late nineteenth century and the premises were sold to leather-dresser William Webb. Chamois leather was produced at first but later a glove making business was established. This closed in 1971. The site is now occupied by housing in Tanners Crescent and Glovers Close.
- Molewood Mill was a corn mill until 1888.
- Sele Mill in the North Road was England’s first paper mill. However, for most of it’s time it was a corn mill. It was destroyed by a fire in 1890 that lasted three days. A new mill was built and continued until the late 1980s.
- The Town Mill on the bank on the River Lee by Mill Bridge was solely a corn mill. Run by Ilotts from 1855, the buildings were damaged by a V2 flying bomb in 1944. Production ceased in the 1960s and eventually the buildings were demolished to make way for the Castle Hall.
- Ware Park Mill, built by James Fordham in 1721, was used for griding corn and was powered by the water of the River Rib where it meets The Lee. It eventually fell into the hands of J.W.French & Co.